Featured Passage: Acts 8
After Stephen was killed the Christians began to be persecuted more than ever before. A young man named Saul received permission from the authorities to hunt down Christians and put them in prison. Many of the Christians began to move to other places to get away from the persecution in Jerusalem. The Apostles stayed in the area, continuing to preach the good news. Philip, a recently ordained deacon, was one of those who went out from Jerusalem preaching the gospel, making an impact everywhere he went. One day, an angel spoke to Philip and sent him on a very particular mission.
- What is persecution? What was Saul doing to the Christians?
- What was the name of the magician who had astonished the people of Samaria? Why was he following the Apostles? What did Peter tell him?
- Where did the angel tell Philip to go? Whom did he meet? How was he able to catch up with him?
- What part of Scripture was the Ethiopian reading when Philip overtook the chariot? What is it in this passage that Philip could use to preach the gospel?
- How did the Ethiopian respond after Philip explained the passage?
- Where did Philip go after he left the Ethiopian? How did he get there? What do you think he did when he got there?
“But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.”