Featured Passage: John 1
God had a plan for the world from the beginning. The great Being called “the Word” spoke the world into existence, but God knew because of sin the world would need a Savior. That Savior would be “the Word” Himself, sent as the Son of God to save every human being who would ever live. To get the people ready for the coming of His Son, God prepared a special messenger—a prophet—to announce that God’s own Son would arrive very soon with a plan to save the world!
- Who is Jesus?
- Who did some Jews think John the Baptist was? Who did he say he was? (Be careful not to confuse John the apostle with John the Baptist! The Apostle John wrote the book of John.)
- Why did John baptize people? What does it mean to repent?
- Why did John baptize Jesus since we know that he never sinned? (You may find some help for this question in Matthew 3)
- What is a disciple? Can you name one of John’s disciples who became Jesus’ disciple?
- What four men named in this chapter became Jesus’ disciples? Do you think they knew one another?
John 1:29 “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, ‘Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’”