https://www.lcgeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/003-jacob-returns.jpg 360 480 Rebekah Ross https://www.lcgeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/logo_basic-website-300x94.png Rebekah Ross2020-01-09 14:45:392020-01-09 14:45:40Children’s Bible Program – Level 3: Lesson 45 “Amos”
Children’s Bible Program – Level 3: Lesson 45 “Amos”
Featured Passage: Amos 1 – 9
Amos was a sheep breeder when God sent him to prophesy to Israel. He was a prophet during the reigns of Uzziah king of Judah and Jeroboam II king of Israel (2 Kings 15). This Jeroboam is not to be confused with Jeroboam I, the first king of Israel who caused Israel to sin. Jeroboam II was an evil king who continued the false religion of his ancestors. Yet, God allowed Israel to prosper during this time. It is in this context that Amos was sent to prophesy against Israel and the surrounding nations.
- Why does God warn people through prophecy? Remember that transgression of God’s law is sin (1 John 3:4 KJV) and sin causes suffering.
- How were things going in the land while Amos prophesied of bad things to come? Do you think this changed how the people heard his message?
- Did the people listen to Amos?
- Was Amos thought of as a traitor? What should we do if we experience ill feelings from others because of our faith?
- What were Israel’s sins that Amos pointed out in chapter 2? Covetousness was a major source of their sins. Today, our society is filled with covetousness. How can we avoid being covetous?
- Did the people change?
- What nation took Israel captive not long after Amos’ warnings?
Surely the Lord God does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.