Featured Passage: Joshua 24 & Judges 1-3
Israel served God all the days of Joshua, and they continued to serve God under the elders who had been trained by Joshua. However, after Joshua and the elders he trained died, things quickly changed. They soon forgot all about God, and began to do their own thing. When they began to stop obeying God, one of the nearby nations would attack and oppress them. The Israelites would call out to God for help, and in His mercy He would soon send them a leader to save them. This happened again…and again…and again…and again…
- Joshua was a good and righteous leader. What is a leader? What does it mean to be a good leader?
- During this time, Israel did not have a human king. Who was their king?
- In the book of Judges, we see that Israel was led by people called (of course!) judges! What is a judge?
- God corrected the Israelites when they disobeyed him. Why did God correct them and why does He correct us? (Hebrews 12:6).
- Israel continued to make the same mistakes over and over – they didn’t learn from their mistakes. How can we avoid following their bad example…how can we learn from our mistakes?
- How did God show his love and mercy for Israel during the period of the Judges?
Judges 2:18 “And when the Lord raised up judges for them, the Lord was with the judge and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge…”