Author: Janth English
Read Together: Cain and Abel were sons of Adam and Eve. As the brothers grew, God talked to them and taught them, just as He did to their parents. Cain and Abel were learning that they were supposed to obey God and love God. In this lesson, we will see how we must put God first in all we do. We must have a good attitude towards God and show it by doing what He tells us to do.
Read Together: Genesis 4:3–5, Hebrews 11:4.
- Help your child understand that Cain and Abel were coming before the Creator to offer gifts to Him and that only the very best is suitable to offer God.
- Explain how Abel’s righteous attitude was reflected in his offering to God; Abel gave the best he had.
- Explain that God loved Cain, but his offering was not pleasing to God.
- Ask your child what Cain’s attitude was toward God and his brother when he was corrected.
- Ask your child what might be an action that would come from a bad attitude.
Genesis 4:4–5 “The LORD respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.”