Featured Passage: Matthew 28
Jesus had died. A man named Joseph of Arimathea went to Pilate and asked if he could take Jesus’ body and properly bury Him. Pilate agreed, so Joseph took Him and wrapped the body and put it in a tomb. Even though they had witnessed Jesus’ death, the Jews were not quite satisfied. They remembered that Jesus said “After three days I will rise.” So they asked that the tomb be guarded day and night just in case one of His disciples might try to take Him away. They did not understand that God is the one who has power over life and death and He had a special plan for His own Son.
- What does the word resurrect mean?
- When did Mary Magdalene and the other women arrive at the tomb? What did the women find when they came to the tomb?
- Jesus said He would be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights (the same amount of time that Jonah was in the whale). Since Jesus was put in the tomb on Wednesday evening, counting three days and three nights, when did Christ rise from the dead?
- What did the women do when they discovered Christ was not in the grave?
- Where did Jesus instruct the disciples to meet Him?
- How did the Jewish authorities plan to cover-up the truth about Jesus’ resurrection from the dead?
- What final instructions did Jesus give the disciples before He ascended to heaven?
“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”