Read Together: It is very important to understand who and what God is. We can only know this if God chooses to reveal it to us, and He has, through the Bible. What was it like when nothing physical existed? In that pre-historic era, there were two eternal, powerful, spirit beings called God and the Word. Together, God and the Word planned and designed everything seen and unseen: the angelic hosts, the stars and planets, the plants and animals, and man. The Word, who became Jesus Christ, was the One who did the creating, and God created all things through Him. God is not some magical “force.” No, God is real! He has form and shape. We can know what God looks like because He made us to look like Him. God is all-wise, all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving. By His Spirit, He can see what is going on everywhere! However, we cannot really know who God is without knowing His character. God is good, merciful, kind, and filled with compassion. Everything God does is motivated from love. God is love.
Read Together: John 1:1–3; Genesis 1:26–27; John 4:24; John 3:16; Psalm 90:2; Colossians 1:16–17; Isaiah 46:9–10; 1 John 4:8.
- Help your child understand that there are two beings in the God Family, God and the Word, whom we now call the Father and the Son, Jesus Christ.
- Explain that God wants every human being to be born into the Family of God.
- Explain that the Spirit of God is not a separate person, but rather the power by which God does things.
- Ask your child to describe what he or she thinks the relationship between God and the Word was like before the creation.
- Speculate with your child about what it would be like to be a God Being. What would you do? Where in the universe would you visit?
Help your child memorize the following verse:
Isaiah 46:9–10 “Remember the former things of old, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure.’”