Author: Janth English
Read Together: The creation week (actually, as we will see in a later lesson, “re-creation” week) is an important teaching of the Bible and God’s Church. However, before the week recorded in the first chapter of Genesis, there was a time when there was only God—two Beings whom we now know as God the Father and the Word, whom we usually call Jesus Christ. God purposed to expand His family. He first created other spirit beings, including angels. Afterward, God began to create the physical universe. God’s creative ability is truly amazing! The whole universe, everything seen and unseen, was created in preparation for the future sons and daughters of God Almighty.
Read Together: Genesis 1:1; John 1:1–3; Job 38:4–7 [“sons of God” refers here to angels]; Hebrews 1:10; Deuteronomy 10:14.
- Make these verses come alive by asking your child questions about what it must have been like before God and Jesus Christ (the Word) created anything.
- Explain that Jesus Christ had a different name to begin with (the “Word”) and that He later was born as God’s Son and was given a new name, Jesus Christ. That is also why we now refer to God as “the Father.”
- Talk about how God and Jesus Christ wanted a family and built a creation for them to enjoy. Originally, it was just the two of them, and they wanted a much bigger family.
- Help your child to understand that God is the Creator and that only God can create from nothing. Even when we create a chair of wood, God is the One who created the wood!
- Explain to your child that God created the angels before creating the physical universe.
- Ask your child what things in God’s creation he enjoys the most. Help him understand, in a simple way, that God created all of these things for us.
Help your child memorize the days of the re-creation week:
- Day 1 – Divided light from darkness
- Day 2 – Prepared sky and clouds
- Day 3 – Separated dry land from seas; Created plants
- Day 4 – Appointed Sun, Moon, & the Stars for lights in the sky
- Day 5 – Created Birds and Fish
- Day 6 – Created Land Animals and Man
- Day 7 – Created the Sabbath by Resting