Featured Passage: John 11
The Pharisees wanted to stone Jesus and tried to catch Him, but Jesus escaped out of their hands. He went to a region beyond the Jordan River where John used to baptise people and many came there to listen to Jesus teach. During this time, one of His dear friends, named Lazarus, became very ill. Jesus had healed many people, so He could certainly heal his friend too! However, the disciples reminded Jesus it was dangerous to travel back to Judea because the Jews still wanted to kill him. Jesus was not worried about that, but He delayed going to Lazarus for another purpose.
- Who were Lazarus’ sisters? Can you think of any other stories in the Bible that talk about them?
- Why do you think Jesus waited until Lazarus was already dead before He decided to go to him?
- How long had Lazarus been dead when Jesus arrived? Why do you think this was important?
- What did Jesus say to Martha about the resurrection? What things do you know about the resurrection?
- What was Jesus’ response when Mary came to Him crying? What can we learn about who Jesus is from His reaction?
- How did the Pharisees react to Lazarus being raised from the dead? Why did they consider Jesus a threat to their positions?
“Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life, He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.’