Featured Passage: Luke 10
Jesus Christ taught many different kinds of people. They would sometimes ask Him questions and many times He would use stories, called parables, to answer them and to explain certain lessons. One day a lawyer asked Christ a question about how to receive eternal life. Jesus found that the man already knew the answer – to have eternal life, he must love God with all his being and love his neighbor as himself. The lawyer then asked Christ, “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus could see that the lawyer didn’t really have the right attitude, so He had a very special story in mind to answer his question.
- Why was the lawyer asking Jesus questions?
- What happens to the man who is traveling in the story?
- Who are the first two people who saw the man? What do priests and Levites do as their jobs? Why do you think they didn’t stop to help?
- Who was the third person to see the man lying on the road? Why did he stop to help? What does it mean to have compassion?
- How did the Samaritan help the man who was hurt?
- Who is our neighbor? When we see someone who needs help, what should we do? Can you think of some examples of things you could do to help others?
“…You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”