Featured Passage: Luke 5
The Jews were looking for a messiah. However, Christ came as a lowly carpenter, a common person in their view, and many people, especially the religious leaders, had a hard time believing Jesus could be the One sent by God. The prophets of old foretold that the Messiah would cause the deaf to hear and the blind to see. People started to hear that Jesus was able to heal those who were sick, so they came from all around to see if He would work a miracle for them. There were so many people who came to see Jesus that one day when some people brought a man who could not walk, they had to get a little creative so the man could get close to Jesus.
- How did people know that Jesus had the power to heal people?
- What kinds of people came to be healed by Jesus?
- What did the paralytic’s friends do when they could not get through the crowd to bring him close to Jesus?
- What did Jesus do when the man who was lowered through the roof?
- Why were the Pharisees upset that Jesus told the paralytic his sins were forgiven?
- What did the man do when he was healed? What do you imagine it would have been like to be there when Jesus healed him?
“But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”