Read Together: There was a time when there was only God – two Beings that included God and the Word. God purposed to expand His family. He first created other spirit beings, including angels. Afterwards, God began to create the physical universe; at the instant the universe came into existence, time began. God’s creative ability is truly amazing! The whole universe, everything seen and unseen, was created in preparation for the future sons and daughters of God Almighty.
Read Together: Gen. 1:1; John 1:1–3; Job 38:4–7; Heb. 1:10, 13–14; Rom. 8:19.
- Make these verses “come alive” by asking your child questions about what it must have been like before God and Jesus Christ (the Word) created anything.
- Explain that Jesus had a different name to begin with (the “Word”) and that He later was born as God’s Son and was given a new name, Jesus.
- Talk about how God and the Word wanted a family and built a creation for them to enjoy. Originally, it was just the two of them – the Father and the Word – and they wanted a much bigger family.
- Help your child understand that God is the creator and that only God can create, i.e., make something from nothing.
- Explain that God created the angels before creating the physical universe.
- Ask your child what things in God’s creation they enjoy the most. Help him/her understand, in a simple way, God created all of these things for us!
Isaiah 45:18 “For thus says the LORD, Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited: ‘I am the LORD, and there is no other.’”