Featured Passage: Matthew 6
In the message He gave on the mountain (often known as “The Sermon on the Mount”), Jesus first encouraged His disciples in the attitudes they should have to be blessed and happy. He then began to address the importance of keeping the Commandments – emphasizing that Christians should keep the spiritual intent of the law and not just the letter of the law. Jesus Christ continued the message by talking about everyday circumstances that people have and the usual concerns that this life brings. Christ told them, and tells us today, that the answer to life’s problems is to put God first.
- What does it mean to do “charitable deeds”? Can you think of some charitable deeds that you could do?
- When we do a good deed, should we tell everyone? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to fast? What are some instructions Jesus tells us about fasting in this passage?
- Do you worry about things? What does God say about worrying? What are some solutions to keep from worrying about things?
- What things did God say we should seek first? What is righteousness? How do we seek the kingdom and God’s righteousness?
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”